Surfskate for 5'1 female surfer

Help for selecting the right surfskate for you
Corinne

Surfskate for 5'1 female surfer

Post by Corinne »

I’ve been learning how to surf for the last couple of months and I am looking to buy a surf skateboard at an affordable price to assist. I also have experience snowboarding. It seemed like the flow board was my best bet but I was wondering if there was anything I was missing that you would recommend over one of the Flow boards. For reference I ride a 5’5 surfboard and I am a 5′ 1 female.

ridingboardsteam
Site Admin

Re: Surfskate for 5'1 female surfer

Post by ridingboardsteam »

The Flow Wedge (the shorter one at 32") is good for learning surf carving and pumping and drawing nice wide fluid curves. It has limited lean so it's relatively stable even though the truck is pretty loose - though nowhere to the extent of a YOW. It's a good affordable option for a beginner surfer. Given your size however, 32" may be little big for practicing tight turns and snapbacks later on. On the Flow, you'll be able to commute and pump distance due to its size and stable ride, but if your goal is to learn shortboard-style maneuvers, maybe take a look at a the Triton Hydron or Nitron. See my surfskate selector here. Hope this helps!

Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! Is there any significant difference between the Flow Wedge and the Flow Swell? I'm a broke college student and the Swell is just a little cheaper, I am also a long way away from being able to snap backs or any of those maneuvers I think. I'm currently working on just riding down the line and thought skateboarding would be a fun thing to pick up that might assist later on.

ridingboardsteam
Site Admin

Post by ridingboardsteam »

Hey, the Swell is just sightly longer (1") and has a classic surfboard shape while the Wedge has a blunt nose with more foot space around the nose, which makes for a comfortable ride. The Swell on the other hand has a wider kicktail which can also be helpful for quick turns and curb hopping as you get better. Other than nose and tail, the two are quite similar and either one will probably work fine for you, particularly if your focus is not on doing extreme turns. The 33" Swell may even be better and more stable for learning, traveling around, and pumping (this is the Amazon page).